Using Your Parking Permit
Permit holders are responsible for following parking rules and instructions when parking at UC San Diego. Follow these guidelines to avoid parking citations.Permits are:
- Never valid in a restricted, undesignated, patient, or reserved parking space, including where posted: “A” Permit Required 24 Hrs a Day/7 Days a week
- Non-transferable unless registered for carpool or department use.
- UC San Diego property—resale is prohibited
- Not a guarantee that a space will be available. A lack of space is not considered valid justification for violation of UC San Diego parking regulations.
The holder is responsible for the cost of the permit from the time of purchase until it expires or is returned with a completed Cancellation/Refund Form to the parking office.
Note: You park on university property at your risk. Always lock your vehicle and remove or conceal valuables.
Look for these painted symbols on the ground to identify spaces.
- A Faculty space
- B Staff space
- S Student space
- V Visitor space
Permits must be immediately visible to compliance officers.
Your permit decal must be properly displayed on your vehicle windshield while parked on university property. Affix your decal to the inside front windshield in the lower left or lower right corner as shown below. The entire permit must be clearly visible to compliance officers.
- Follow instructions printed on both sides of your permit.
- To avoid possible damage to your vehicle, a parking officer will not look under the car cover for your parking permit.
- Lock your permit so it hangs visibly onto the driver side of the car cover. (The parking office will laminate your permit on request and provide a cable, if available, for annual permit holders.)
- If you plan to display your permit on the rearview mirror or the driver-side dash, it must be visible to the officer without having to lift or remove the car cover.
- Annual permits are decals. Apply to a conspicuous spot on the vehicle.
- Short-term permits will be laminated and hole-punched by the parking office, in order to hang from a cable. The parking office can provide a cable when one is available; secure it to your motorcycle with your own lock. Position the permit so it’s easy to spot.
- Make sure that:
- The entire permit face is visible.
- Your permits is valid.
- Annual permits expire June 30 of the current academic year.
- Other permit expiration dates vary
- Renew a predated permit before it expires.
- If you forgot your annual permit, get a complimentary day permit from the parking office or use visitor parking.
- Never display a counterfeit, altered, or missing permit. Do not:
- Laminate your permit: Only permits laminated by the parking office are valid.
- Change any preprinted information on the permit
- Reproduce your permit
- Display someone else’s permit, or a permit that’s been reported as missing
- Use a permit that you reported as missing—it's no longer valid and should be returned to a parking office
- Any alteration, misuse, or use of a lost or stolen permit may result in confiscation of the permit and/or a citation carrying a substantial fine.
- Login to our online system.
- Click “Vehicles” at the top of the page.
- Click “Add Vehicle/Employee ID” at the bottom of the page.
- Add your vehicle information (make, model, and license plate number) and click “Next.”
- You will receive an alert that your vehicle has been associated with your permit(s). Confirm your permit number is listed.
- If your permit number is not listed, contact a parking office for assistance.
Official Business Supplement Changes
Effective July 1, 2017, Official Business (OB) supplements will no longer allow extended parking in regular loading zones. Parking Compliance staff will enforce time limits in regular loading zones.
An Official Business supplement is intended to facilitate employee parking access while conducting official university business only. The supplement is not intended to accommodate an individual’s personal parking needs.
- To apply, complete and submit the Official Business Supplement Application.
- Official Business supplements expire on June 30 each year. A new application is required annually.
A valid UC San Diego A, B or R parking permit with the OB supplement properly displayed allows parking in these areas for up to 4 hours:
- Service Yard spaces
- A faculty timed zones
- UC vehicle spaces
- Parking meters
- V visitor spaces
- Where posted: “A” parking permit required 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
This supplement is NEVER valid in disabled or reserved parking spaces.
Use of this supplement implies that you understand and accept the responsibility associated with these regulations. Any improper display or other misuse of this supplement is prohibited and may result in confiscation of the supplement and/or a citation carrying a substantial fine.
A Service Yard supplement is intended to facilitate parking access for employees who are loading and unloading vehicles for university business. The supplement is not intended to accommodate an individual's personal parking needs.
Service Yard supplements expire on June 30 each year. A new application is required annually.
- To apply, complete and submit the Service Yard Supplement Application.
- Service Yard supplements expire on June 30 each year. A new application is required annually.
A valid UC San Diego R, A or B parking permit with the SY supplement properly displayed allows parking in Service Yard spaces for a maximum of two hours while conducting university business.
Any improper display or other misuse of this supplement is prohibited and may result in confiscation of the supplement and/or a citation carrying a substantial fine.
Use of this supplement implies that you understand and accept the responsibility associated with these regulations.
If you plan to park in the following lots during the hours listed, you must pick up and display an access stamp or sticker (no additional fee) that affixes to your UCSD parking permit.
|Lots P001 – P010 (map)
Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO)
|Lot P354 (map)
San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC)
|Lot P384 (map)
Sanford Consortium for Regenerative Medicine
|Lot P416 (map)
|Service Yard spaces||
Contact a parking office.