Triton Bikes Program
Transportation Services partners with the Campus Police to recycle abandoned bikes. These bright yellow refurbished bikes sport the Triton Bikes logo and come equipped with wire baskets and locks.
Students, faculty, and staff can check out a free Triton Bike to ride on campus.
Borrow a Bike
- Go to the Gilman parking office (map), weekdays 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Show your valid UCSD ID and official proof of age, such as driver’s license or passport.
- Complete a Triton Bikes agreement releasing the university from liability.
- Accept assigned bike lock key and responsibility for equipment.
- Take assigned bike from the rack outside. Bike and helmet rentals are free to UCSD students (must be 18), faculty, and staff.
- Follow these rules:
- Don’t take bikes off campus.
- Safely, legally and securely lock bicycle when not is use.
- Return the bike within 48 hours—during business hours (excludes weekends and holidays).
- Wait at least 24 hours between checkouts.
- Pay fines for:
- Late bike return, $5 per day
- Lost basket, $20
- Lost bike lock or key, $30
- Lost bike, $75-$350 (based on value)
For more information, contact Commute Solutions, (858) 534-7433.
Bikes for Departments
Departments or campus organizations can host Triton Bikes for use by their members. Riders must meet requirements and complete the Triton Bikes agreement, relieving your department and the university of all liability.
Triton Bikes delivers bicycles, helmets, locks, and bike racks to your department location and handles needed repairs. Your department performs routine maintenance such as cleaning the bike and inflating tires.
Current sponsors include:
- Commute Solutions
- Environment, Health & Safety
- Facilities Design & Construction
- Facilities Management
- Housing, Dining & Hospitality Services
- Revelle College
- Salk Institute
- Sixth College
- Theater & Music