Triton U-Pass for Students
Triton U-Pass is a UC San Diego universal transit pass program that provides students unlimited ridership on all regional MTS and NCTD mass transit bus and trolley/light rail routes. This excludes:
- NCTD: Coaster Train, FLEX and LIFT
- MTS: Rural Routes (888, 891, 892 and 894), Rapid Express Routes (currently 270, 280 and 290) and Access
All undergraduate and graduate students who have paid quarterly registration fees are eligible for a U-Pass. Eligibility verification and student ID are required.
UC San Diego Extension students and visiting scholars are not eligible for the program.
U-Pass stickers are valid during fall, winter and spring quarters only. The 2017-18 U-Pass stickers are available beginning Sept. 25 at these locations;
- Library Walk (near the bookstore) 8:30 a.m.– 4 p.m. weekdays
- Campus parking office
- 7–8:30 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
- 4–5 p.m. weekdays
- Have Transportation Services validate your eligibility and affix your U-Pass sticker to your student ID.
- Show your U-Pass to the MTS or NCTD bus driver as you board. When riding the MTS trolley or NCTD Sprinter, be prepared to present your U-Pass to officials upon request.
- Students also need a U-Pass sticker to ride the CityShuttle.
- U-Pass is non-transferable. Do not let anyone else use your U-Pass or MTS will revoke access to the U-Pass program for all involved parties. The university may also take additional disciplinary action.
- Report problems with U-Pass immediately. For any issues or complaints related to services, bus drivers or problems using your U-Pass, contact the service provider.
U-Pass Cloud Pilot Fall 2017 – Now Closed
This fall, Transportation Services is working with MTS to change how students use U-Pass. We’re pilot testing a new U-Pass Cloud app for UC San Diego students that allows you to use your U-Pass from your smartphone — iPhone or Android.
You can use U-Pass Cloud just like a U-Pass sticker for MTS bus, Rapid and Trolley and NCTD BREEZE and SPRINTER. With U-Pass Cloud, you are required to show your current UC San Diego student photo ID card if requested by transit officials.
Benefits of U-Pass Cloud
- Start using U-Pass before sticker distribution begins Sept. 25.
- Skip the U-Pass sticker line at the beginning of the quarter; get your sticker later if you want one.
- Flexibility: Use your smartphone or your photo ID card with a valid U-Pass sticker to ride transit.
During the U-Pass Cloud pilot, eligible students may also get a 2017-18 U-Pass sticker on their current UC San Diego photo ID cards like in previous years.
One thousand students who have paid quarterly registration fees can sign up for U-Pass Cloud on a first-come, first-served basis.
Online sign up is closed. Thank you to the 1,000 students who signed up!
As the program develops, we plan to expand the U-Pass Cloud program. We will notify students via email when the app is available.
U-Pass Cloud sign up is closed. Downloading the Compass Cloud app will not give you a U-Pass. Only the 1,000 students who signed up online and received an email confirmation will be able to access U-Pass on the app.
- Use your pass. You do not need a network or wireless connection to use U-Pass Cloud because it’s stored on your phone.
- Open the Compass Cloud app on your smartphone and select “My Tickets” from the menu on the left of the screen. Your pass will be displayed.
- Select UCSD U-Pass listed under “Stored Tickets.” A pop-up window will ask, “Would you like to use this ticket?” Select “Use Ticket.”
- The pass will then activate displaying the animated Trolley, buses and COASTER on screen with the expiration date at the top. Tap the back arrow at the top left of your active ticket to return to the “My Tickets” screen. Your active pass will be shown at the top of the list, under “Tickets in Use.”
- To use the interactive feature, tap on the pass and it will change colors. Tapping again returns the pass to its original state.
- For the bus, activate your mobile pass by tapping “Use” before you board the vehicle.
- For rail (Trolley or Sprinter), activate your ticket by tapping "Use" as you get on the platform. Your ticket must be activated in all fare-required areas. Tickets activated less than two minutes prior to inspection are subject to a fare violation citation.
- Display QR code If an operator or fare inspector requests it. To activate the QR-code on your pass, tap on the small square QR-code icon in the bottom right corner of your active pass; tap again to close it. Fare inspectors may use the QR-code embedded within the pass to verify valid transit fare.
Pass Doesn’t Activate Quickly
Some smartphone with older operating systems do not work as fast as newer phones. If you have an older phone, give yourself plenty of time to activate the ticket before the vehicle arrives or entering the fare-required zone. Make sure you don’t have too many applications open because this can affect app performance.
Try logging out of the app and logging back in, and then try powering your phone off and then back on.
Dead Phone Battery
You are responsible for showing proof of valid fare to operators, fare inspectors or other authorized personnel. If your device cannot display an active pass, use your UC San Diego photo ID with valid U-Pass sticker.
New or Lost Phone
You should recall your pass before resetting your phone, uninstalling the app or getting a new device. Log into your Compass Cloud account, navigate to “My Account” and then to “My Tickets” and click the "Recall my Tickets" button. Follow the instructions to recall your pass.
When you sign into your new app, you will be taken to the “My Tickets” screen if you have retrievable tickets. Then, tap the "Retrieve My Tickets" button. You can also complete this process from the "My Account" section of the app.
Need assistance with the Compass Cloud app?
Visit MTS Customer Service or contact the Compass Service Center, (619) 595-5636.