Any faculty, student or staff member who lives off campus and does not hold a limited or annual parking permit may join the Pedal Club.
Pedal Club members must:
- Commit to cycling for most of your commutes to UC San Diego
- Register your bicycle with the state of California and maintain a valid registration sticker
- Maintenance discount: Get a 10% discount on accessories, parts and labor at UCSD Bike & Skate.
- Free shower access (without a recreation card): Bring your valid UC San Diego ID with current Pedal Club Access Sticker (available from Commute Solutions) to the main gym or Canyonview pool (RIMAC not included) and identify yourself as a Pedal Club member. Lockers are available for daily rental.
- Park free when necessary: Receive a complimentary 10 Day permit each quarter. (First-year students are not eligible to receive these parking permits.)
- Emergency rides home: Register in advance for Guaranteed Ride Home, a SANDAG program that provides rides in case of illness, unscheduled overtime, or family emergencies. Registered users, dial 511 when you need a ride.
- Drive shared vehicles: Pay no Zipcar application fee and receive rental credits (when you meet UCSD eligibility requirements).
- Register your bicycle online. A $6 registration fee applies. (Credit card or student account accepted.)
- Pick up your bike license stickers from UC San Diego Police substation located inside Price Center East (across from Burger King).
- Register for the Pedal Club by calling Commute Solutions, (858) 534-7433. Registration is free and requires:
- Valid UC San Diego ID number
- License and renewal stickers properly affixed to your bicycle
- Documentation of class schedule – undergraduates only
Once Commute Solutions authorizes your registration, you will be eligible to order your quarterly 10-Day incentive permit.
User Application Process
All applicants must:
- Be registered Pedal Club members
- Have current bicycle registration
- Have an @ucsd.edu email address
- Complete the Gilman Bike Cage Access Cared Application and User Agreement (PDF)
- Submit a completed application in person to Commute Solutions in the Gilman Parking Office
- Pay a $15 non-refundable processing fee for RFID access card key (cash, check or credit card payments accepted)
- Provide a copy of current bicycle registration for any bicycle that will be parked inside the bicycle cage via email to iRide@ucsd.edu (Only one bicycle per user may be parked inside the bicycle cage at any time.)
Access card processing and activation may take up to three business days. Applicants will receive a confirmation email when the RFID card has been activated.
If you have questions, comments or suggestions about the Gilman Bicycle Cage Pilot Program, contact iRide@ucsd.edu.
Contact Commute Solutions.