Any faculty, student or staff member who lives off campus and does not hold a limited or annual parking permit may join the Pedal Club.
Pedal Club members must:
- Commit to cycling for most of your commutes to UC San Diego
- Register your bicycle with the state of California and maintain a valid registration sticker
- Maintenance discount: Get a 10% discount on accessories, parts, and labor at UCSD Bike & Skate.
- Free shower access (without a recreation card): Bring your valid UC San Diego ID with current Pedal Club Access Sticker (available from Commute Solutions) to the main gym or Canyonview pool (RIMAC not included) and identify yourself as a Pedal Club member. Lockers are available for daily rental.
- Park free when necessary: Receive a complimentary 10 Day permit each quarter. (First-year students are not eligible to receive these parking permits.)
- Emergency rides home: Register in advance for Guaranteed Ride Home, a SANDAG program that provides rides in case of illness, unscheduled overtime, or family emergencies. Registered users, dial 511 when you need a ride.
- Drive shared vehicles: Pay no Zipcar application fee and receive rental credits (when you meet UCSD eligibility requirements).
- Register your bicycle at UCSD Bike & Skate or the Hillcrest parking office. A $6 registration fee applies (cash or check payable to UC Regents accepted).
- Register for the Pedal Club at the campus or Hillcrest parking office. Registration is free. Bring:
- Valid UCSD ID
- Pink bicycle registration receipt, or
- Bicycle with registration stickers affixed (expiration sticker required)
- Pick up your complimentary 10 Day permit at the parking office. Bring:
- Valid UCSD ID
- Vehicle registration for up to 3 vehicles—registered to you, a family member, or an eligible domestic partner at a single address. (Undergraduates must do so within the first 6 weeks of the quarter.)
- Documentation of class schedule (undergraduates only)
Note: Faculty and staff permits will arrive by campus mail automatically. If you do not have a mail code, your permit will be held for pickup in the parking office. Undergraduate and Extension students must renew their membership each quarter.
- See Using Your Parking Permit.
- Complimentary Commute Solutions permits:
- Are nontransferable. Only the member who is issued the permit can use it. You cannot share, sell, or give it away.
- Allow parking for the vehicle(s) officially documented in the Transportation Services database only. To add a vehicle, bring your registration to Commute Solutions.
- Expire on June 30 each year
User Application Process
All applicants must:
- Be registered Pedal Club members
- Have current bicycle registration
- Have an @ucsd.edu email address
- Complete the Gilman Bike Cage Access Cared Application and User Agreement (PDF)
- Submit a completed application in person to Commute Solutions in the Gilman Parking Office
- Pay a $15 nonrefundable processing fee for RFID access card key (cash, check or credit card payments accepted)
- Provide a copy of current bicycle registration for any bicycle that will be parked inside the bicycle cage via email to iRide@ucsd.edu (Only one bicycle per user may be parked inside the bicycle cage at any time.)
Access card processing and activation may take up to three business days. Applicants will receive a confirmation email when the RFID card has been activated.
If you have questions, comments or suggestions about the Gilman Bicycle Cage Pilot Program, contact iRide@ucsd.edu.